Luxexcel, the world’s only technology provider for 3D printed commercial lenses, announced its next-generation manufacturing platform, Luxexcel VisionPlatform™ 7 – a 3D printing platform, which makes it possible for businesses to integrate prescription lenses into the production of smartglasses in their manufacturing facilities.
Fabio Esposito, Chief Executive Officer at Luxexcel commented, “The launch of VisionPlatform™ 7 begins a new era in the manufacturing of prescription smart lenses. To compete in the race to launch consumer-ready smartglasses, eyewear manufacturers need to address prescription in their smartglasses devices. More than 75% of the adult world population today requires prescription lenses. Luxexcel provides a disruptive solution where smart technology is seamlessly combined with a prescription lens, rather than adding prescription power to the smart device as an afterthought. Luxexcel is accelerating the market introduction of true consumer smart glasses by allowing technology companies to manufacture prescription smart eyewear in the comfort of their own manufacturing home.”
VisionPlatform™ 7 – 3D Printing Smartglasses
The VisionPlatform™ 7 includes new features designed specifically for the production of prescription smart lenses that are lightweight, thin, and can be used in commercial frames similar to traditional eyeglasses. The platform was created in response to market demand and customer-specific requirements for flexible yet high-performance manufacturing systems.
VisionPlatform™ 7 is a technology-agnostic 3D printing platform that integrates objects such as waveguides, holographic optical elements, and liquid crystal foils. The platform includes cutting-edge hardware, proprietary materials, cutting-edge software, and processes – everything needed to create prescription smart eyewear on-demand. With the ability to manufacture prescription smart eyewear, technology companies can speed up their Augmented Reality (AR) eyewear projects while also giving designers the freedom to create the smartglasses they desire.
This launch is off the back of Luxexcel’s successful product demo earlier this year, which proved that the three vital elements of AR smartglasses – prescription lens, a waveguide, and a projector in a fashionable device – can be combined into a 3D printed prescription lens. Luxexcel’s comprehensive material knowledge and family of custom materials ensures that the integrated objects bond well with the prescription material. VisionPlatform™ 7 also prints critical features, difficult or impossible to manufacture otherwise, such as the air gap required for a waveguide, and printed hardcoating, all without birefringence.
“To manufacture a device that combines prescription and smart functions requires a combination of skills in technology and optics. It can be difficult to find this combination of skill sets in one team, so we offer this experience to our partners. We provide our customers with a complete solution to manufacture prescription smart lenses so that they can focus on developing the technologies and content for the device. With VisionPlatform™ 7, more innovative features can be added to smartglasses and the only limitation is the imagination of the designer.”– Guido Groet, Chief Strategy Officer at Luxexcel
- Integration of smart technologies: VisionPlatformTM 7 is technology agnostic, seamlessly integrating a wide range of objects during the 3D printing process to produce prescription smart eyewear. Integrated objects include smart technologies such as waveguides and holographic optical elements, as well as active or passive foils such as liquid crystals.
- Optimized printing processes: VisionPlatformTM 7 prints a wide range of powers from high to low on diameters ranging from 65mm to less than 1mm. The platform also prints features that are difficult to achieve with traditional lens manufacturing, such as air gaps for waveguides and micro lenses.
- Strong adhesion properties: Adhesion promoters for various objects, such as waveguides and holographic optical elements, ensure that integrated objects adhere well to the prescription material.
- New materials: High-temperature materials enable a variety of anti-reflective and hydrophobic coatings to be applied to lenses as part of existing ophthalmic post-processing steps.
- Printed hardcoating: As part of the 3D printing process, a printable hardcoat is included. Luxexcel provides an even surface at a low temperature to protect smart technologies within the lens, and the technology can even coat specific areas.
- Lens design: Custom lens designs, such as single vision lenses and multifocal progressive designs, free form lenses, and prisms, can be printed to address users’ most common refractive errors.
About Luxexcel: Luxexcel is the world’s sole provider of 3D printed commercial lenses technology. Their mission is to accelerate the adoption of consumer smart eyewear by meeting the needs of more than 75% of the adult world population requiring prescription lenses.
About Manufactur3D Magazine: Manufactur3D is an online magazine on 3D Printing. Visit our Tech News page for more updates on Global 3D Printing News. To stay up-to-date about the latest happenings in the 3D printing world, like us on Facebook or follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter.